Saturday, July 5, 2008

HRM's purpose in BSIT

Managing human resource was established way before the creation of computers, and even way before the invention of light bulb.

The use of man power and managing it can be seen in all aspects of our history and in the present. We can see that long ago building pyramids needs a lot of human work force and are managed by the higher officials sent by the pharaoh. Yet, clearly at those times there wasn't a clear study about human resource management. As time goes by, a study on the said subject was made and its principles are used in all institutions whether it be a major corporation, a school or even by a small enterprise. It was late seen that human resource was a vital part in a growing economy.

But questions such as "why is there a need to study HRM in computer related courses?" or "What is its connection with computers or technology that a need to focus on it is created?". Other statements such as "Its much more related to business related courses and it should just stay there for it has no use in BSIT/BSCS students."

On the contrary, I believe that, we, computer based students should have a study on the matter for the reasons that it will help us be aware of what we will face after we graduate. In the few weeks that I have studied HRM, it taught me a lot of things that my university can't. It lead me to visit IT based companies that opened my eyes on what I want to be after I graduate. It gave me knowledge on what are the rights a worker has, how much pay he/she would receive, how a certain company operates, what skills and characteristics are being preferred by other corporations or on how to know what job would suit an individual best.

I think that it was for these reason why HRM was included in studying BSIT/BSCS courses. To teach the students not only about things that are in the direct relation with their chosen profession but also about things that they will have to go through in their working environment. It enables students to be aware of what the "outside world" would be and getting them ready for it.


2 comments:

rejserenity said...

hehe it reminds me on our HRM last year. how we find company to deal with. it was hard to find 1 that would entertain us and give us some info about there business more esp it if it is critical. however, in the course of study, we would learn a lot from them.

meL said...

hrm in bsIT.!! at first akala ko din talaga na prang hindi useful ang hrm sa course natin pero as we go to search for companies and learn about them, I felt like I was an applicant who was being trained for the job. i had a better understanding about how a person like me should act in a working environment.