Monday, August 24, 2009

My Research Field Exposure

Last Wednesday, I went to a “field exposure” on my own. I did this for the purpose of both having my mind refreshed by being away from the teasing EMF emitting computers for awhile and have the possibility of generating an idea for my research proposal.
I have been (or would like to think that I have) trying to think of a research proposal for one of my subjects this semester and unfortunately, I have found nothing good enough. I believe that if ever I was going to look for inspiration for an idea there’s nowhere better to get that from than from the Internet. After spending many hours, days and weeks with this strategy I pretty much believe that it’s a failure now. I mean, how can I get an idea when I don’t even know what to search for. Its not that I haven’t got any ideas from the Internet but then the terms “Green computing” and “technical implementation” got the results of which my expectations can’t reach since its too technical for me. Terms like data centers, hardware manipulation or improvisation for a greener environment are all that came across my readings and let’s face it its too costly and time eating, something that I can not compromise since it would really fit my 5 month plan.
My biggest problem is getting a problem that can satisfy my standards which actually isn’t set really high. Even though our professor already told us to think out of the box and encourage us to set our bars higher, I am honestly not targeting anything beyond my thinking capacity. I research about something I am interested with and within my limits so as to do it efficiently. My limits referring that it focuses more on the social than the technical side of study. The truth of the matter is that I do have some nice ideas for a research study but then I can’t get myself to post it since I always think that the implementation or the technical parts of it would be too hard or even impossible for me, and this “negativity” if you might call it, is my waterloo. As I result, I tend to find new ideas, of which like the first one, proved to be too technical for me. So I decided to go onto field exposure to refresh my mind and so as to block these thoughts or limitations by seeing sceneries and experiencing it first hand than just sitting in front of a desktop computer and have these thoughts eat me. I actually got this idea from a show I was watching, where the participants went to selected places like a carnival or a gallery to come up for a new cell phone design rather than just sitting inside the office and look up patches and color schemes. And so I told myself to forget my other ideas and forget the technical-smickle for a while and just see the world as it is, dissect it into finer blocks so that I can see its drawbacks while eating ice cream (you must admit my idea is cool).

Community is Going Green
I went to SM first, and entered the all shops..whether it be a clothing shop, gamehouse, cellshop, computer shop, music store, or a bookstore. An idea might come up at unexpected places right? I even entered the supermarket and passed by all the aisle look at their products and even bought chopsticks (one of my quirks hahaha). When I was about to pay for the chopsticks I noticed the that SM is now promoting a greener environment by using brown paper bags than plastic bags to put in what their consumers bought. If the customer likes to put it in a sturdier bag, they can purchase the SM green bag made of cloth which costs two for 35 pesos. I was really amazed by this idea since its extra income while promoting a greener environment. Those green bags are cheap but they come as extra income and they came be used over and over again. Plastic bags can be used over and over again too but they would not look that presentable like the green bags would in spite of being used a couple of times of which as a result they wouldn’t be thrown away after use like plastic bags which instantly become part of the garbage after one use. SM even has this sign board in which those who brought green bags can sign on as a proof that they support the advocacy of Bring My Own Bags (but only for Wednesdays). But then even if this practice is done once a week, it’s still a help to make people aware about participating for a greener environment. The green bags have prints on both sides, “SAVE A BAG, SAVE THE WORLD.” on the upper portion, and EXCLUSIVELY FOR SM ADVANTAGE MEMBERS on the lower portion. On the middle portion of the one side, the logo of SM Supermarket Cares, and on the other side, the logo of Unilever Philippines.

That day, I went to a lot of places. Mostly malls like, Gaisano Mall and SM, and internet shops and I also read computer related books in the National bookstore, wherein I spent two hours reading about IT related books, cookbooks, language books and astrology books (love bookstores c: ). I also went in cellphone shops since I was also trying my way in creating a green mobile application and reading the different features from different phones would certainly help. But I gained new ideas in the appliance shops. To what those ideas are, well, I will just present it later when I finished my backup study on it.

All in all, it was a good day. Even if my study would not be approved in the end (hopefully not), it’s still a nice experience for me. Stretching limbs, taking pictures of things that might help you get new ideas and eating ice cream while strolling around (even if I have to soak my feet into hot water when I got home) seems to make new definition of the word “research” for me, than my old closed on the four walled room, sitting infront of a computer and thinking-of-tags-that-would-help days. Being “in” the environment poses a more carefree, relax atmosphere than the radiation filled stiff computer room.

2 comments:

sheryl said...

that was a great experience han! love d ice cream! :-D

randy said...

so what's your research topic(s) now?