Monday, November 24, 2008

A Professor's Homily

Having the reporting finally started today, a lot of technical problems have occurred. While we were waiting for some of our classmates or rather reporters to arrive while fixing some of the technical glitches, our professor started to discuss certain things to us, wherein which we would call it a "homily".

It not about godly things, as one might have derived from our description but its a sort of a review to some items he already discussed to us (of which I wont deny, that I or we forgot already. Talk about short term memory loss).

Just like our last discussion, our professor who was first discussing about where strategic planning started then about the world being flat due to cyber space and later the talks feel on our respective goals and dreams. Its a funny how certain discussion fall into topics that seem poles apart. But I understand that our professor is stating a point in relation to strategic planning not only in one's studies or occupation but also to one's life. He is always keen on asking us about our goals in life, on what do we do to achieve those and are we planning to succeed or not.

Honestly, this topics is one that I try to avoid. Stupid as I may sound but it true. Why? Well, it because our professor is right. I create certain decisions abruptly. I don't spend time to think things over, devise a "bulletproof plan" to make things go the way I wanted smoothly and surely. I guess I am really a spontaneous person in more than one way. I don't want to face the reality that I was planning to fail. Facing such thoughts just tends to freak me out. But then, its now a lesson learned. I should and would plan from now on (I hope).

Also, in this semester, we are to produce a Strategic Plan directed to the Institute of Computing. It aims to devise a plan that will enlighten the faculty, staff and university officials on the problems of the institute and what are the ways that we can address to each problem. He told us to look for the S.W.O.T, which means the Strength, Weakness, Oppurtunities and Threats that the institute and its community is undergoing. Determining such factors can help us to see the things that undermine the growth of the Institute of Computing and create solutions for it.

Also, he discussed the STEEP or PESTE principle to us. This principle refers to Political, Economical, Sociological, Technical and Environmental Issues that we must adhere to in doing our major paper.


It may sound that we really have a serious talk in our class a while a go but actually we were all goofing off since our professor keeps on making jokes that I wouldn't dare to post here (just guess why.. hahaha) and due to some of our comical classmates lead by King George (peace George). To Simon, we may not be that close but condolence on the spermies (joke lang jejeje). All in all, its another fun filled (hmm.. partly) freezing day in school.


0 comments: