Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Few Good Men


"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to"


The quote above was said by Jack Nicholson, in the movie, A Few Good Men. Actually, this movie was released a long time ago, 1992 to be exact. But I watched the said movie just recently on television.
Jack Nicholson who plays Col. Nathan Jessep and top bills this movie with the movie's main man, Tom Cruise and Demi Moore. In this dramatic courtroom thriller, Lt. Daniel Kaffee, a Navy lawyer who has never seen the inside of the courtroom, defends two stubborn Marines who have been accused of murdering a colleague. The case at hand later unfolds itself and spuns a web inflicting an uproar in the Marines as higher officials were taken into trial as the main suspects for the crime.


The film is really worth watching because it will really keep your eyes glues to the screen. It didn't need special effects or breath-taking shots to keep the audience in awe. The story itself together with its superb cast really makes it an A plus movie.


I like courtroom novels but I haven't tried watching courtroom movies such as this one. I really thought it would just be a boring movie full because I am not really interested in military, marines or courtroom dramas but the movie really changed my perception in this kind of films. I can say that Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise were really perfect for the role especially Jack Nicholson who portrays as an officer who is willing to do anything at any price for the salvation of his country.
The movie revolves around the search for truth, finding what honor really is and justifying the phrase "the ends doesn't justify the means".

The movie's tagline is "In the heart of the nation's capital, in a courthouse of the U.S. government, one man will stop at nothing to keep his honor, and one will stop at nothing to find the truth. "

1 comments:

PHDora said...

since when did u like watching retro movies eh?? anyway, i'll take that post as a good criteria for hunting a good movie... i'm looking for a movie that might soothe my mapili-taste for movies.. XD thanks anyways, come by to my blog too...and see my daily rants n raves and my lovely and EVIL complaints on the world.. XDD